Saturday, March 5, 2016

Best DIY facial cream ever

I am into DIY of all kinds. One of the favourite thing to do at home is DIY beauty products, partially due to all the toxic ingredients in most store bought products, and partially due to the high price tag for natural and organic beauty products. Some people may argue that what one puts on her skin don't get into her body hence what's the big deal about toxic ingredients. I now know for sure that is wrong. Simply by putting magnesium oil on the skin regularly I was able to eliminate my regular mild migrants proves that what I put on my skin does get absorbs into my body. In fact, one time my husband put way too much magnesium oil on his body before going to work out and he actually got sick and threw up, which is one of the known side effects of magnesium overdose.

Anyway back to beauty product.  I've first switched to natural beauty products about 7 years ago, and then 3 or 4 years ago when completely stopped using store bought beauty products. Instead, I switched to use natural organic carrier oils such as argan and jojoba oil and natural toners like rose water and alcohol-free witch hazel. It has done great things for my skin. The only problem I have is that my skin is pretty dry in the winter. If I use pure oil on my skin, a little bit won't keep my skin hydrated throughout the day but too much get my skin looking greasy and gross.  I have tried to make my own lotion/cream, but they were limited to mixing different oils and beeswax since I was too timid to try mixing oil with water. The results have never been satisfactory, since no matter what the recipe was, I was still mixing pure oils so the end product has always been too oily. Then I stumbled upon this facial cream recipe yesterday and gave it a try. Wow I was so impressed. It came out to be creamy yet light. It absorbs into the skin quickly and within a couple minutes, the oily feeling is completely gone. I put the cream inside of a silicone travel tube like this:

Due to the nice texture, it is very easy to use and I don't need to worry about contaminating the cream.

Here is a picture of how it came out:


Here is the recipe:

Rosemary’s Perfect Homemade Face Cream

Though this recipe appears easy, it is also a bit challenging. You are attempting to combine water and oil; they don’t normally mix. Follow the recipe closely. If it doesn’t turn out right the first time, don’t be discouraged. Try again; the luscious cream is well worth your time and effort.
Package your cream in glass jars. It doesn’t need to be stored in the refrigerator.
Waters
2/3 c cup distilled water (or rose water)
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
1 or 2 drops essential oil of choice
Vitamins A and E as desired
Oils
3/4 cup apricot, almond, or grapeseed oil
1/3 cup coconut oil or cocoa butter
1/4 teaspoon lanolin
1/2 to 1 ounce grated beeswax
1. Combine the waters in a glass measuring cup. (Tap water can be used instead of distilled water, but it will sometimes introduce bacteria and encourage the growth of mold.) Set aside.
2. In a double boiler over low heat, combine the oils. Heat them just enough to melt.
3. Pour the oils into a blender and let them cool to room temperature. The mixture should become thick, creamy, semisolid, and cream colored.
This cooling process can be hastened in the refrigerator, but keep an eye on it so it doesn’t become too hard.
4. When the mixture has cooled, turn on the blender at its highest speed. In a slow, thin
drizzle, pour the water mixture into the center
vortex of the whirling oil mixture.
5. When most of the water mixture has been added to the oils, listen to the blender and watch the cream. When the blender coughs and chokes and the cream looks thick and white, like buttercream frosting, turn off the blender. You can slowly add more water, beating it in by hand with a spoon, but don’t overbeat! The cream will thicken as it sets.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment